Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I bleed the air out of my clutch system?

I have a 1990 Cherokee



I let the fluid get very low and now it barely gives me enough pedal to drive. I refilled of course but I don't know how to bleed the system. When I have the pedal depressed it actually engages the clutch slightly sometimes but when I pump it it returns to giving me just enough pedal to work with.



Thanks!How do I bleed the air out of my clutch system?Same as bleeding brakes. Find the slave cylinder and open petcock. Have someone push on clutch pedal all the way down and hold. Close petcock. Repeat until no air is in the line or all old fluid has been replaced. Make sure to keep the master cylinder full during the process.How do I bleed the air out of my clutch system?Some of the Jeeps in that vintage use a %26quot;self bleeding%26quot; master and clutch cylinder assembly. If it does not have any internal or external leaks filling it up with fresh fluid and gently pump the pedal several times should solve your problem. If your clutch is worn out this will not resolve the problem. If there is no bleeder screw on the slave cylinder this is the system you have.How do I bleed the air out of my clutch system?I have never seen a hydraulic clutch system lose fluid. So, before bleeding the air out of the system, find out where the fluid is going and replace the faulty part(s).

After that, look for a bleed port on the slave cylinder. It should be bled using the same process as hydraulic brakes.How do I bleed the air out of my clutch system?you have to gravity bleed a clutch system out if you keep pumping the pedal it will damage the master cylinder on it, open a bleeder on the bottom and allow it to start running clear fluid from it and catch in a container so it wont eat the paint off what ever it touches and once it start running clear fluid then close it off,but don't let it run dry or you,ll have to start all over again with the whole process,it takes about an hour to get one bleed out real good ,good luck.