Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?

When I turn the key, it turns over, but doesn't catch. It just revvs, but no spark/start. I started it yesterday and it ran for about three minutes, then died. I tried to get a jump off, but no luck there. I think it's the starter, alternator or clutch.How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?It is neither of the three. The clutch has nothing to do with starting the car only with putting the car in motion after it is started. If it tries to turn over at all the starter is fine. Its job is to turn the engine to creat the spark and valve movement. Also it probably is not the alternator if it even tried to start. Turn the lights, radio and ac on when in the on position (don't have to start) if it acts funny like dimming lights then yeh it might be the alternator. Sounds like its some type of sensor when the engine warms up it is not doing something to keep it running. Maybe it is not ideling correctly. Try starting it and holding on the gas just a little to keep it from idling. If when you let off the gas it dies that is what it is.How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?if it turns over but doesnt start, no spark or no gas. what kind of car?How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?Sounds like it might be the cylenoid or solenoid which is part of the starter. It can be jumped if you need it to get somewhere vs a tow.How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?my truck did this on christmas day, it turns but didnt catch, it was the timing belt for me.How can I tell if a starter, alternator or clutch is the problem when my car doesn't start?do the horn, lights, radio all work? The clutch would only effect it if you tried to put it into gear.
  • one web hosting
  • windows web server
  •