Monday, September 19, 2011

Why is my car able to shift without pushing my clutch all the way down?

I just noticed that its easier to shift my gears without pushing the clutch all the way down now. Can someone let me know what the problem is and how can I fix it myself. I want to pretend I know what I'm talking about when I take it to the shop for repair.Why is my car able to shift without pushing my clutch all the way down?Your clutch is adjusted so that it presses in real easy. You just need it adjust down.Why is my car able to shift without pushing my clutch all the way down?Modern manual transmissions have syncros which make shifting much easier. You don't have to push the clutch pedal all the way down to shift, the only time you do is from neutral into first gear or reverse when you're stopped.



If you REALLY know what you're doing you don't need to use the clutch at all when up shifting. Do you think big rig drivers use it while rowing through all those gears?



Most problems occur when the clutch doesn't disengage completely which make it hard to get into first or reverse. If your clutch isn't doing that or slipping I don't think you have a problem.



If you're in doubt about adjustment get a manual and find out how much free play you're supposed to have. Adjustment is easy loosen the jam nut on the clutch pedal and adjust the clutch rod in or out by turning one way or the other. Takes only a few seconds.



If you're within specs chances are you need a new clutch. Make sure to replace BOTH clutch disk and pressure plate don't be cheap about it. Replacing the disk without the pressure plate guarantees problems down line.